Dear Mom - Letters to Heaven

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Puccini for Beginners - Movie Review

I liked this movie. It stars some of my lesser known favorite actors including Elizabeth Reaser (Family Stone), Julianne Nicholson (Tully) and Justin Kirk (Weeds). So I jumped on it. A romantic comedy that has an inventive way to deliver inner dialogue. I like how it doesn't hit you over the head with guffaws. One critic called it Woody Allen lite. Well that's an easy way to describe some of the dialogue but seriously are we only allowed one director to explore our relationship nuances, obsessions and confusion.

Although this film deals with lesbian relationships and hetero relationships - if you are squeamish do not be put off. This is an easily accessible movie with plenty of laughs and charm. A great date movie and one for the Mr. and Mrs. as well - although I'd keep the super young kiddies away.

Good writing, inventive screen play, a couple of insights as well as outright yucks.

Four out of five stars.

I'm a big fan of Julianne Nicholson since Tully - she delivers the goods again. The woman is a fine actress. Although I'm not a big corporate television fan so I haven't seen her television work - just the big screen stuff.

Rent Puccini for Beginners from Net flix guilt free and get the popcorn ready for a heartfelt good time.

No comments: