Dear Mom - Letters to Heaven

Friday, January 23, 2009

The Girl in the Cafe'



This is a beautiful movie with subtle acting, comedic touches and real life all thrown into the mix. Bill Nighy was just spot on as the Brits say and Kelley MacDonald was phenomenal. I can not overstate the acting. It really is top notch. I'm a huge fan of these two now that I have actually seen them act for the first time. The movie got criticized for trying to talk to the issue of poverty. But I'm claiming sour grapes to those reviewers. The issue has to be put out there and there is absolutely nothing wrong with using the medium of film to get the facts out. They are devastating facts.

There's an intelligence here to the acting, pacing and writing. It has some deft and light comedic touches and a true tenderness. When I reviewed the deleted scenes on the disc I totally understood why they were deleted. Good call and it wasn't for inferior lighting or acting. I don't want to give any of the film away but to say that the two main characters angst is palpable would be a huge understatement. The acting and tension between them came through the screen beautiful and you ached for both of them. This truly caught me by surprise. I have a slew of films in my net flix queue. By the time this film had arrived I couldn't remember what drew me to have it sent. So I was a bit thunderstruck by the movie, it's message, the acting and it's whole feel. We loved it watch it with a significant other.

Now that I am familiar with the actors I am scrambling around looking for other work they have done together and a part. Yes the movie is that good. Five stars and five stars for taking on global poverty. Too bad the critics don't have enough nerve to speak out in support of noble causes. If anything is to change we all need to become aware of what is going on.

Act NOW!
The One Campaign

No comments: