Dear Mom - Letters to Heaven

Friday, August 18, 2017

Let It Flow - Elvin Bishop - Classic Album Review


Image may contain: text, outdoor and water 
This is another "joyous" release and if I'm writing about it you know I love it - I mean really love it and I love Elvin Bishop our very own “Poor Drunken Hearted Boy".

Let it Flow is not only a great album it’s a great way of life. I recall once upon a time and still have Jeana's postcard from Europe where she said she was taking my advice. She had just spilled a beer in Austria and was letting it flow. Now that’s a big sister. I have a great photo from Jeff hung high with Elvin’s Let it Flow poster underneath so you know this album has a huge place in my heart. Plus it’s just flat out fun! Didn’t Duane have a lot to say about music getting too serious and needing to stay fun?

Let It Flow is lighthearted, bar room, barrel house, not afraid to cry in its beer music that celebrates the environment and espouses a pastoral, down home philosophy that refuses to take itself too seriously except when it comes to having fun and having the right attitude even when facing death. Between all the music, fun and craft you might miss it but its there.

Every song expresses a positive take on everything from no regrets, no worries, to love, to life style, to fishin and well hell children life is for the living. If a fish bites my line on Sunday I'm gonna real em on in ain't nobody cryin'.

Ground Hog is a riot like a boy loves his slide, the piano break on Honey Babe is strong, and all the background, singing, shouting and talking perfectly placed. I’m gonna pick up my guitar and start to sing…..let it flow indeed!

This album is jam packed with musicians including Dickey Betts, Vassar Clements and Johnny Sandlin from the Highway Call session and then everyone else under the sun. We have guest spots from Charlie Daniels, Sly Stone, Toy Caldwell (Marshall Tucker) Randall Bramblet (Cowboy), Paul Hornsby (Hourglass) , Mickey Thomas, and Steve Miller to name a few.

But the musician in that all-star lineup that grabs my attention is Johnny Vernazza. Johnny V is another gun slinger with great taste who I would love hearing more from and would have given Dickey a strong foil to play off of with the ABB. All these cats were co-mingling and cross pollinating in Macon at the time. It must have been a freak show and Grant's Lounge must have been swinging crazy, stumblin’, dancing, loud and spilling out into the street.

Elvin Bishop is still putting out albums and performing don’t pass him by if you get the chance. On Let It Flow he crafts a bunch of rowdy songs and hits some righteous covers (Lightning Hopkins) Honey Babe (Hank Williams) Hey Good Lookin' and (Merle Haggard) I' Can't Hold Myself in Line. Before closing with Bourbon Street.

That song in and of itself may have been why I applied to Tulane. Talk about train wreck they actually let me in....... but not for long (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). I was too busy tearing around New Orleans. There was an old club called Old Man Rivers where I saw Elvin with fifty people tops, Dickey and Peter Tosh came through as well…. Let It Flow puts me in touch with and breaks the fun barrier as Amy used to say!

Of course we have Travlin' Shoes a 7 minute locomotive that just cooks tightly with high energy and ringing guitar licks. Hey Good Lookin’ with Dickey and Vassar trading licks. The classic Fishin’ down there on the crick……how can you not smile?

Let It Flow is an acknowledge classic a touchstone of a moment in time that is eternal. Attitude is everything and Let It Flow brims with the right attitude song after song, note after note, lyric after lyric. You can feel the grass between your toes and smell the air, the sun on your back and the sky in your eyes. Get the whole neighborhood over and we’ll just have a time here tonight!

No comments: