Dear Mom - Letters to Heaven

Thursday, September 05, 2013

Allman Brothers Band Virginia Beach 9/4/2013

Saw the ABB in V. Beach last night 5th row center - stood for two hours straight - massive air bass playing, head bopping and butane burning- I think I scared Oteil........the sound down front was beautiful but could have brought Greggs key board up a bit more in the mix.  Fun crowd not too drunk lots of hand shaking, smiles and interaction with everyone around us. 

They went old school to start the show which is what I was craving - That's what love will make you do was a surprise  - I thought oh no as it started and then was singing, dancing and sweating before it was over - sounded great.  They were very faithful to the original licks on Blue Sky, Jessica and Southbound but of course blazed their own in the moment imprint when stretching it out.  Lots and lots of energy.  The array of drums practically in our lap was huge and I was way into the drum break which is unusual for me!  Into the Mystic was extremely heartfelt and on point a beautiful rendition that had me mesmerized - Warren brought out a sweet new guitar for that number - the tone was excellent the mood was achieved.  And Grace Potter - well hells bells the chick sounded just like Bonnie Bramblet - I thought - no wonder these guys like her - she shimmied in front of Gregg at one point and well that was the biggest smile I've ever seen from him - I was happy to catch that moment.  Great rendition of The Weight reminded me exactly of Duane's version with Aretha Franklin thanks to Derek and the time signature of the band really special they nailed it.  Grace has some pipes on her.  That was so fun! 

Here's a set list I found looks mostly right to me might be missing a song around Statesboro blues.  They also teased out a little Mountain Jam during Jessica.  Lots of veterans and service boys in the crowd as well who were pumped to see their Allman Brother Band - a very good show, lots of energy - the sound was excellent did not use ear plugs - no ringing - awesome weather beautiful night surrounded by loved ones - what more could you ask for!

Don't Want You No More >
It's Not My Cross to Bear
Statesboro Blues
Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
That's What Love Will Make You Do
Midnight Rider >
Les Brers in A Minor
Blue Sky
Who to Believe
The Weight (w/ Grace Potter)
Done Somebody Wrong
One Way Out (w/ drums)
Jessica

Encore:
Into the Mystic*
Southbound

No comments: