Here are some facts:
Junk Mail as it Affects You
- Each person will receive almost 560 pieces of junk mail this year.
- More than 4 million tons (62,000,000,000 (billion) pieces) of junk mail are produced yearly.
- The majority of household waste consists of unsolicited mail.
- $320 million of local taxes are used to dispose of unsolicited mail each year.
- It costs $550 million yearly to transport junk mail.
Junk Mail as it Affects the Environmental
- The production and disposal of junk mail consumes more energy than 2.8 million cars.
- 100 million trees are ground up each year for unsolicited mail.
- 42% of timber harvested nationwide ends up as pulpwood for paper.
- It wastes 28 billion gallons of water for paper processing each year.
- If you cut your bulk mail for 5 years, you’ll conserve 1.7 trees, 700 gallons of water and prevent 460 pounds of carbon dioxide from being released into the air.
- 40% of the solid mass that makes up our landfills is paper and paperboard waste. By the year 2010, it is predicted to make up about 48%.
- Scarce landfill space disfigures rural areas and pollutes ground water.
- It is difficult to recycle, as the inks have high concentrations of heavy metals.
Three reasons why I have gone with 41 pounds.
1. It's simple.
2. Over half the profits from each sale go to not for profit organizations such as environmental organizations, local schools and youth groups. If for whatever reason your name gets back on these bulk mailing lists within 5 years you can contact us and we will go through the entire procedure again at no cost to you.
3. There are other companies out there that advertise similar services. If you read the fine print; most will tell you they will not stop mail addressed to “Occupant” or “Resident” (this included Penny Savers, ValPak, etc…). Also they do not contact catalog distributors or other bulk mailers that are not members of the DMA (including most credit card offers). Our goal is to remove you from these lists; as “Occupant” and “Resident” mailings are responsible for the majority of what you are trying to eliminate.
Information and facts re-printed from 41 Pounds.org