Dear Mom - Letters to Heaven

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Allman Brothers Band vs. Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and Richard Julian


I think I'd travel to go see that jam. How about a new Watkins Glenn?

Bruce brings something entirely different to the table than the Allman Brothers and I'm a fan of both but a bigger ABB fan. Bruce is all about the summer to me. His album Greetings from Asbury Park is a summer resort town and the tales of the first three albums spoke to the hard scrabbled living that occurs in those communities - (we're not talking the Hamptons) - teenage love, fast cars, a little greaser mentality mixed in with scorching romance equals early Bruce. When they said sit down I stood up.

Bruce's generation grew up with him. The energy of the Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle well the title tells it all. I have to admit after Darkness I left Bruce. Born in the USA was way too jingoistic for me. His attempts at delving deeper into the Tom Joads didn't resonate. I had moved on but every summer like clock work out comes the first four albums and well it helps that I had a mad crush on a girl named Kitty just as E Street Shuffle came out...so yeah Bruce gets it we were all Born to Run. The poets down here don't write anything at all they just stand back and let it all be. So a a little experience with the street is all you need to get Bruce but try not to analyze music so hard. If it speaks to you enjoy. If it doesn't get another cd out or sing in the shower.

As for the ABB contrasted to Bruce - in order to bring this post to a close lets just in general (re-read that line again) say melody versus angst. Bottle neck versus saxophone - Les Paul versus Telecaster - Motorcycles versus muscle cars. Twin guitar attack versus storytelling. All have their time and place. Like Zeppelin vs The Who - lust versus anger - and Tom Petty its hard for me to play his songs because I'm just not that pis**d off - but I love his music and Petty is a must see show if you haven't seen Tom live - the most under rated lead guitar player ever Mike Cambell.

Music is the palette of the ear. There are many, many different colors and all of them have merit if they stir and lift your soul in a profound way. Its up to the individual think for yourself and watch marketing and commercialization. While its not always true the best is often never heard by the majority and I would add that doesn't matter either. Richard Julian in a small venue works for me you don't have to be a multi selling artist to be enjoyed and enjoy a great life.

No comments: